Image source: ATA (atanet.org)
The upcoming American Translators Association (ATA)’s 55th Annual Conference is fast approaching and the Spanish Language Division (SPD) looks forward to seeing many of its members in Chicago, Illinois, November 5-8, 2014! The added opportunities for professional growth and unforgettable fun make the ATA Annual Conference a must-attend event for seasoned and newbie translators and interpreters alike. In addition, ATA members in good standing automatically qualify for the special ATA member registration rate to the annual conference. To save money, register for the conference by October 3 and book your room by October 13. ATA has made available a convenient page that contains all the current information about its 55th Annual Conference. Visit http://www.atanet.org/conf/2014/index.htm to register and prepare for a successful #ATA55.
The SPD wants its members to maximize their annual conference experience. We have put together a short list of tips from experienced ATA annual conference-goers so you can make the most of the experience:
The Indispensable Short List to attend the ATA Annual Conference*
1. Update your résumé (1-page advisable)
2. Order business cards with current contact information
3. Download the ATA Conference App (available mid-September) to receive up-to-date information about rooms, sessions, people, etc.
3. Bring a ready-to-learn and networking attitude!
4. Pack phone and laptop chargers and power adapters
5. Wear suitable business attire (and comfortable shoes)
6. Bring ideas to share with the ATA Board
7. Review the conference program and highlight the presentations you do not want to miss
8. For first time attendees, the Newbies and Buddies program is a must!
9. For ATA voting members, come prepared to vote by reading the candidate bios and proposals, and vote!
10. Attend SPD events, they are a blast!
*Contributors: Fran Samuel, Gerardo Konig, Mónica De León, Paul Merriam, Paula Irisity, Virginia Pérez-Santalla, and Charo Welle
We look forward to seeing you in Chicago!
Fran Samuel, SPD Administrator
Helen Eby, SPD Assistant Administrator